The blog seems to have got as confused as my brain today, here’s a memory which didn’t get around to happening.
“Well, finally that’s it. The last few stitches have gone into the bottom of the hem on the second orange curtain”.
Let me explain, I did actually make the cushion mentioned here, and I wrote the post shortly after the cushion was finished, but I wrote it in such a way that it would expect me to have hemmed the second orange curtain before I published it. Needless to say, I didn’t get around to finishing the curtains, we’ve actually moved house and since all of our windows were different sizes, I left my curtains for the new owner… Complete with the pins which were holding up the hem on the one side.
” The window in this room (this would be the room in the old house) is quite large but is north facing so although in summertime we get the rising sun streaming through the window for the first hour or so, for the rest of the year the lighting is quite bland so the yellow and orange decor sits comfortably. “
We left the cheerfully bright decor too although I’m guessing that’s probably gone by now.
” I did toy with the idea of making my own curtains, but considering how long it’s taken me to just turn up the hems on these, it’s probably just as well that I didn’t so the burgundy ones which covered the window before were demoted to the bedroom to a shorter window where I could cut off most of the holes made by “Alice” and I bought a set of ready-made orange ones instead.
I’m not good at “finishing”, I have no end of different projects on the go at the same time, I actually cut and pinned the curtains to the right length back in May for the wedding. (This would be the May of three years ago now) I put the stitches needed into the bottom of one of the curtains and the other has just been looking after my pins since.
I cut about eight inches of length from the bottom of each curtain, meaning I had leftovers to play with. I used to make lots of the girls’ clothes when they were little and I would use up the odds and ends to make something small “to match” so it was only natural for me to not want to throw away these little bits of curtain.
The material itself is very loosely woven so I only had to look at it to cause it to fray and leave threads behind. The pieces themselves weren’t wide enough to make a matching cushion and if I sewed two bits together then they would look like exactly that, two bits sewn together to cover a cushion.
I slept on the problem, admittedly for more than a few sleeps, but eventually I came up with a solution. Both Mum and Little Sister have recently been doing patchwork, not the hand sewn type of patchwork I did years ago with thousands of tiny stitches, but patchwork sewn together by machine. One of the designs is made up of strips of different colours, short strips at first, sewn into a square shape, then longer strips sewn onto the outside of the square until it becomes the size you want it – in my case, cushion size.
So, cutting the strips of material which weren’t wide enough to make cushions into even narrower strips, I then set about them with the sewing machine to sew them back together into a new cushion to match the curtains.
The orange curtain cushion came with us to our new home, as did everything else in this picture, I’m still working my way around the house doing lots of “fixing” before I can actually get to the decorating stage, but I’m getting there, I’m bouncing no end of ideas around in my head, and of course, I’ll be taking pictures as I go along and posting little bits of memories as I go.