With my “Macramé curtain” completed and ready to hang on the top half of “The Runner’s” Kitchen door, my mind started turning to its slightly smaller counterpart for the window next to it. I had taken measurements for both curtains together and although larger in size, the door window was simpler to start with as I had no window handle to negotiate around.
I cut both pieces of wood to the right lengths, and bought lots of string and beads to play with. Then, with the net curtain completed, and ready to go… The virus arrived.
I had the small problem that the lockdown meant the net curtain would have to wait to be delivered, but I could quite happily smile at it on my wall for a while longer. My main problem was that I’d used most of my wooden beads on the first curtain, I didn’t have enough variety left for the second one, and my bead lady had gone into lockdown.
My Bead Lady told me which keywords to search to find the beads I needed online and I found them easily, but made the mistake of ordering them from China during a pandemic so the delay was even longer than usual.
Eventually my beads arrived and I started knotting the long lengths of string onto the wood. Finally I was ready to go again, or so I thought, but the virus again had other ideas, my string provider had a supply problem and their shelf was empty. I was to be delayed again until new stock could be acquired.
After many wasted trips to the shop, my string finally came back into stock and I was able to knot the rest of the lengths onto the wood. Thank goodness they didn’t decide to change to a different supplier.
Off I went again… Starting simple by just dividing the strings into groups and knotting two diamonds to start the symmetrical design.
They say its OK to make mistakes, so long as you learn from them… Not something I do very often, but instead of needing to add a small panel on each side this time, as the weight started to pull the curtain downwards and inwards, I compensated early and tied extra strings on the outsides… That’s the beauty of “progressive planning”, you can quite literally make it up as you go along.
The window handle wore out more than a few grey cells. Although I had taken measurements of the handle closed, I realised that it needed to be pushed through the curtain to open the window. Eventually with a combination of extra measurements from “the Runner”, combined with measurements of my own window handles I divided the curtain and added some beaded twists for the handle to be pushed through.
Bringing the curtain down either side of the handle hole was quite simple, I worked on both sides a few knots at a time to keep the symmetry, but wasn’t quite happy with the way things were going.
Everything stopped and it hung on my wall while I walked past it over and over again waiting for inspiration. Eventually inspiration came from Hubby who said he didn’t like the gap in the middle … I realised I didn’t either and the puzzle began to evolve into extra strings in the centre to turn the two panels back into one curtain.
Not actually having the window to hand for checking the fit as I went along really didn’t do anything for the confidence levels so I left extra long tassels in the handle gap in the hope to be able to adjust the hole if required when the window curtain finally headed off to its new home.
After a while, and a bit of knotting and un-knotting, I managed to pull the two sides together and bring the diamond pattern down to a point to vaguely resemble a heart outline. Still not completely happy with the handle hole , I decided to take a ball of string with me for minor adjustments on the day of fitting and move onto the next stage, the beaded strings.
Having more beads than I needed was a big bonus as I was able to let my imagination play and thread them onto the strings in a cluster making a heart shaped pattern.
I finished off the bottom with longer than usual tassels incase adjustments were needed at the fitting and made a mental note to take the tools required with me when I would finally put the curtain in place.
Almost there, just a couple of strings needed on either side to fill the rectangular space and it was ready to go.
Needless to say, the curtains are both finally hanging in their rightful places by now. I “visited” Little Sister and drank coffee with “the Runner” whilst making the final adjustments for the window handle.
Here’s a picture sent to me from “the Runner”, I hope she enjoys looking at her curtains as much as I enjoyed making them.
More from before: A little peek further into the world that I’ve “Created“.